Social care

The Local Offer

The Reading Local Offer is the place to find information about social care services and provision for children and young people with SEN or disabilities, including leisure activities & short breaks, childcare and moving from child to adult services.

You may also find some specific advice around your caring responsibilities through the Carers Hub for Berkshire.

Social care elements of an EHC plan

As part of an EHC needs assessment, the SEND team will seek advice from social care about their previous involvement and assessments for your child. Information about any social care provision can be found within section H of the EHC plan. If you are appealing about the education sections of a plan you may now (during a national trial) also include the sections relating to health or social care needs or provision. Though the tribunal will not be able to make legally binding orders on health and social care, it is expected that their recommendations will generally be followed.

Assessment for services

Under section 17 of the Children Act 1989, local authorities have a duty to assess ‘children in need’ for any services they may need.

A child in need is defined within the Act as a child who is unlikely to achieve or maintain a satisfactory level of health or development; a child whose health and development will be significantly impaired, without the provision of services; or a child who is disabled.

You can request assessment for your child by contacting the Children’s Single Point of Access on 0118 937 3641 (aged under 18) or through the Contact Centre on 0118 937 3747 (aged 18-25). Information about the Children and Young People’s Disability Team can be found here.

You may also request a parent/carer needs assessment, provided your child is defined as a ‘child in need’.

IASS Helpline: 0118 937 3421