Young People in Custody

Who is this service for?

It’s for you if you’ve been in trouble and are now involved with the Youth Justice Service (YJS) in Reading. We can help you find out what education and training support you can access if you have special educational needs and/or a disability (SEND).

​If you have SEND, your YJS worker should give you information about support services. They should also make sure that you get the support for education and training during any time you spend in youth custody (young offenders’ institute).

You can find out more on Brighter Futures for Children’s website on the Youth Justice Service page.


How we can help you

  • We offer free and unbiased information advice and support, which is kept private.
  • We may be able to support you in meetings.
  • If you agree, we can talk to the SEND team and/or the Youth Offending Service at Brighter Futures for Children about your needs and support.  
  • We can give you advice on rights around education, health and social care. 
  • We can help you get your views across if you disagree with decisions.
  • We can help you with paperwork to do with your education.
  • If you agree, we can talk to your family members to help them to help you.

For more detailed information about what should happen, please look at the downloadable document below or contact us on 0118 937 3421 or email